Saturday, July 28, 2012

Orange Romper

Thank you Jeanne Garvey.  Jeanne Garvey is a wonderful collector of interesting bits, which she makes into intriguing shadow boxes or anything else her fertile imagination concocts.  I bought this sweet one of a vanity with an older woman's face in the mirror at ArtHop this year. 


Jeanne recently moved  from Massachusetts, where she had a barn full of stuff, to Brookland, where there are not any barns.  She has been destashing, and I have been the fortunate recipient of her largess.  One of the items I picked up was this remarkable vintage shorts romper. 



I love it.  It reminds me of a wonderfully silly time when James Bond would dress like this:














(from funniest book EVER Museum of Kitschy Stitches)
  And crafty people thought this was a good idea: 

















And yet, tragically, we each need to learn from our own mistakes, and I want to wear this.  How should it be styled?  I presented the challenge to several creative women over drinks at Jackie's, and damn! if the orange romper isn't a gift that keeps on giving!  I got haikus, fanciful drawings, and fashion tips I never would have thought of.  Here are a few of the excellent tips:


"Annie Hall-esque floppy hat"



"Amy Winehouse hair and eyes" 

"nice push-up bra" &





"80's brooch-  mix it up!"




Finally, I was lucky enough to get this drawing from artist extraordinaire, Rose Jaffe :

You know I would buy those shoes if I could find them.   Thank you so much, ladies.  I love your creativity.  We'll end with one of the romper haikus and the Wallace Stevens poem it brings to mind. (And remember for great current poetry go to Lines and Stars !)

Orange Romper

Keep it as it is.
Wear high black boots with zippers
And a long necklace.

Gray Room
Although you sit in a room that is gray,
Except for the silver
Of the straw-paper,
And pick
At your pale white gown;
Or lift one of the green beads
Of your necklace,
To let it fall;
Or gaze at your green fan
Printed with the red branches of a red willow;
Or, with one finger,
Move the leaf in the bowl--
The leaf that has fallen from the branches of the forsythia
Beside you...
What is all this?
I know how furiously your heart is beating.

No comments:

Post a Comment