Tuesday, February 2, 2016

TranquiliT

By Guest Blogger, Patsie Earle-Richardson

Hello again! 
This week I had the privilege of going to visit Tranquil Space, a boutique and yoga studio off of Dupont Circle, founded by Kimberly Wilson in 1999. I was pleasantly surprised walking in to find a fireplace and tea kiosk that is stationed right inside the boutique; how wonderful!

The style of the boutique reminds me of a well-adorned scrapbook, with memorabilia and style filling the walls.

Talking with Kimberly about her business, it was apparent that she has put her heart and soul into every part. Originally from Oklahoma, Kimberly came to DC only to find that her work outfits were out of place: yoga pants amongst the sea of classic DC suits. "I was running around town teaching yoga [and working as a paralegal] in leggings, t-shirts, and tennies and felt silly downtown among people in business suits. So I'd add a skirt over my leggings or do various things to try not to look like I was constantly going to the gym."
This new fashion idea inspired her to make a clothing line that was yoga and business friendly named TranquiliT.

The line takes after "Units and Multiples," a fashion trend from the '80s. The idea is to have a single base layer (a tank top and leggings, lets say) that allows you to add single additions to your outfit to completely change the look. "I'll transform by swapping my professional wrap dress to lounge shorts for yoga, then a vintage organza skirt for a party," says Kimberly; great for a woman on the go!

The clothing, while a little pricey, ($68 for leggings and $98 for a dress) is made from bamboo fabric, a material that is incredibly soft, and soft on the environment. In addition, to reduce shipping and packaging waste, she uses materials that can be turned inside out to become a tote bag once its delivered! This I had never heard of any eco-business doing this before, what a wonderful idea!

All in all, I really felt like this was a Tranquil Space. Stop in sometime, either here or in her other Space in Arlington. More information here:

Stay Stylish!

P.

1 comment: