Saturday, February 27, 2016

Spoonflower: A Review!

By Guest Blogger Patsie Earle-Richardson

This week I wanted to do a reflection review on a website that I had some firsthand experience with. Spoonflower is a fun website that does custom fabric printing in many different fabrics and patterns, including some eco-fabrics that piqued my interest.

The Front Page! 


I was overjoyed at how many patterns there were to choose from. Most of the designs are independent-designer-made and submitted, adding a homemade Etsy-like feel to the website. 


Lots and lots and LOTS of patterns to choose from! 

I also got to please the inner nerd in me, by finding a pattern that was designed after my favorite TV show, Doctor Who! Any online store that has a "geek" section is a win in my book! 

The Pattern. 
I used the Dr. Who print in organic cotton sateen to make a skirt from a Simplicity pattern. The fabric's print is incredibly vivid and opaque (even after washing, which softened the fabric a little, but didn't soften the color at all!). The fabric is only printed on one side, so don't use these fabrics in a pattern without a lining or that shows the wrong side of the fabric; it wouldn't look very good. 

Another recommendation I would make is to place your order in advance. They take around 8-10 days normally to produce the fabric. I received my fabric in 3 days because I chose rush shipping due to timing issues, so it cost more. It's a very specialized product, so there's no instant gratification, but patience is worth the wait for this company. The skirt came out beautifully!

Me all happy this came out perfectly! 
All in all, a very good sustainable website to shop at. This unfortunately is my last blog post, as I am going back to school in Vermont this week. I say toodles to you all, and, as always, stay stylish! 

P.

No comments:

Post a Comment